Buying a frying pan is not easy, and taking care of it also requires work. Using your frying pan correctly is a priority to extend its useful life. And if you have spent a lot of money to own a quality frying pan, then you have even more reasons to do so. Did you know that 90% of frying pans we throw out have been misused? If we had taken care of them with a little more enthusiasm, they would have lasted much longer.
But frying pans are the most abused utensils in kitchens. We overheat them before start cooking, we do other things while cooking, we sometimes burn some food, we clean them with scouring pads and other aggressive materials and at the end, we damage the nonstick coating. As time goes by, we start hating the frying pan and we end up buying a new one.
If you do not want this to happen again, give up your bad habits and stop mistreating your frying pans. This is our 10 steps guide to learn how to take care of frying pans, so they last much longer.
NEVER DO THIS TO YOUR FRYING PAN. TIPS TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR FRYING PANS
1. Don’t choose the hob that most appeals you or the one available at that moment. It’s important to choose the one that matches with the diameter of the frying pan. Especially if it is an induction or vitro-ceramic hob. Flames can never exceed the base of the frying pan.
2. Even if you want to avoid using oil in your recipes to become a very healthy person at all cost, you should never place an empty pan on the hob. Add at least few drops of olive oil. Oil increases the properties of the non-stick coating.
3. Never start heating your frying pan at the maximum temperature. Although you think that this way it heats up faster, you will only get to deteriorate the qualities of the non-stick coating. Therefore, even if you are in a hurry, relax and have a beer. If you want to cook at maximum temperature, heat the frying pan gradually to medium temperature and don’t raise it all at once.
4. Very important, never let oil smoke. Besides you will overheat the frying pan, burned oil is not healthy at all. Be careful when the fire is on and always keep your eyes on it.
5. Don’t cook more food than the frying pan can tolerate. The more ingredients you add, the longer they take to cook. All ingredients should be in contact with the cooking surface of the frying pan. You should have several frying pans of different sizes at home in order to cook with the one that best suits each occasion.
6. Don’t get mad stirring while cooking. One of the reasons why food don’t brown or acquire flavors, scents and the colours you are looking for is you don’t leave them enough time in contact with the cooking surface. So be patient and remember: never use metallic and sharp utensils to stir. You would only get to scratch the frying pan or even pull up the nonstick coating. Always use wooden or silicone utensils.
7. Being a clueless is no excuse to don’t pay attention to your frying pan. You should never leave it unattended or attend other matters while cooking. Even so, if in any case food gets a little stuck, add few drops of water, and it will instantly disengage. Oh, and by the way, never place a hot frying pan under cold water! Temperature contrasts make frying pans break down faster.
8. Frying pans are not storage containers. Don’t be tempted to leave and store leftovers directly in your frying pan. They are not manufactured for this. Don’t be lazy and keep the remains in a suitable container.
9. When cleaning your frying pans, treat them even like a piece of art if necessary. It’s very important to clean them with hot water and mild detergent. After that, dry them with a cloth. Furthermore, don’t use abrasive objects to clean them, only soft sponges.
10. The last step is about storing frying pans. Never stack your frying pans directly. Place a protector between each one. This way you will avoid possible scratches and blows.
If you follow all these tips, your frying pan and casserole will last many years, especially if it’s a Castey one. Moreover, if your Castey pan had a manufacturing defect, you could repair or replace it thanks to our Limited Lifetime Warranty.
At the end, life of frying pans depends on how we use and care about them. We must be careful because they make our life easier. How would you cook a simple delicious fried egg without them? They have become an indispensable tool in our daily life. That’s why it’s very important to make good use of frying pans to lengthen their useful life and stop continuously buying new ones to replace the ones we have damaged.
Although today you can find same sized frying pans at very different prices, it’s important to know the technical characteristics of each one to make the right decision, as not all frying pans have the same quality. You can take a look at our frying pans catalogue here.
HOW TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN A GOOD NON-STICK FRYING PAN AND A BAD ONE AT A GLANCE
HOW TO TIDY UP YOUR KITCHEN. STORAGE IDEAS FOR THE KITCHEN
START COOKING WITH CASSEROLES WITH PERMANENT ATTACHED SILICONE HANDLES AND FORGET MITTENS